LED bulbs can save you money and offer an environmentally friendly way to light your home or business. Intensely developed since the start of the 21st century, LED technology is now usable in most lighting applications. Lyco sells a wide variety of LED bulbs for retrofit use in commercial or domestic environments, and they offer many significant benefits. From LED Candle Bulbs to GU10 LED bulbs we stock them all!
Some of the advantages of installing a retrofit LED bulb are as follows:
- Up to 90% more energy efficient than incandescent or halogen bulbs
- Up to 60% more energy efficient than fluorescent lighting
- Long lifespan of up to 50,000 hours
- LED bulbs do not project IR heat, increasing suitability for lighting heat-sensitive items
- Negligible UV output does not damage artworks or other organic materials
- Reliable performance in cold temperatures (down to about -20°C)
- Frequent switching tolerance (a weakness in fluorescent lighting)
- Solid-state light form that is resistant to vibration or shock
- Compact size enables sleek lighting designs
Environmentally friendly with zero mercury content, less landfill strain, and reduced carbon dioxide emissions
There are three main types of LED: DIP (Dual In-line Package), SMD (Surface Mount Diode), and COB (Chip-on-Board).
A DIP LED has a bullet-shaped lens and emits a low intensity light. An old form of LED, it can be identified by its clustered appearance in cheaper lamps. Its use is mostly restricted to decorative lamps in modern lighting.
An SMD LED is a small LED chip commonly seen in many retrofit bulbs. It gives a very bright, directional light. This is the most common LED used in bulbs and is often mounted in arrays to produce omnidirectional light.
A COB LED uses many tiny LED chips, packed closely together to form a larger light source capable of covering broader areas. COB LEDs mimic the intense, uniform light of halogen lamps and are especially useful in spotlights with wide flood beams.
Saving money with LED
If you’re looking to upgrade your current lighting technology to LED, please look at our feature article: LED Conversion - how much will I save? This will give you a good idea of how much money you can save with an LED switch and how quickly you’ll recoup the initial investment.